Saturday, April 9, 2011

From the prayer of a baby Christian

"God, I pray for you." The rest in the prayer group shifted in discomfort. "Did he just pray for God? We've got to get him in the next discipleship class," thought the pastor.Something about basic theology flew through the mind of another member of the prayer circle. The pastor leaned forward in expectation of what would come next.

"God, I pray that you would feel loved right now. I pray that you would have great joy and I pray that if there's anything we can do to bless you more, that we would do it."

There was a sigh of relief from a few members and from the humbled pastor came a soft 'Amen.'

Is adoration so far from the priorities on our prayer list that when we hear someone pray ' for God' we get uncomfortable? Prayer and worship must  go hand in hand. Tell God who he is--remind yourself who He is so that when you come to into His glorious presence with your requests, you come with a genuine awe of who He is and how able He is.

I think Francis of Assissi's "All Creatures of Our God and King" is appropriate to illustrate this pondering.

Let all things their Creator bless,
and worship Him in humbleness,
O praise him, Alleluia!
Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son,
and praise the Spirit, Three in One


I love that we're referred to as 'things;' It's a perfect illustration of how small and insignificant we are. Thank you Jesus for allowing me the opportunity to praise you. Humbled, I ask, how can I bless you today?  
Copyright: Autumn R. Anderson (2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment