Saturday, April 9, 2011

I'm Just Being Real

The word "real" is increasingly popular in the vocab of Christians and  the meaning so lacking in many of the churches we attend. Unfortunately, the tendency is to find like minded people and clique with them so that our needs for authentic relationships can be met. I disagree with separating from the orthodox church regarding this issue. I disagree with making any significant leap based on emotion. Human's desire and need for relationship is, after all, God given.

Josh McDowell shares in his blog that we thrive on relationship because we were created in the image of a relational God!

Still, it's such a waste when bible believing churches don't recognize the need for fresh, true authenticity. That said, I do understand (not condone) members of the emergent church and their desire for a more touchy feely experience. Feeling and emotions are a key components to relationships. As a self-proclaimed artist, I can tell you how hard it is for me not to be led astray by emotions. I have to keep myself very accountable to the truth and, as always, I’m thankful for my very even keel husband who keeps my feet on the ground.



I believe that what John Piper states in his comments on the Emergent Church is true, but I also do agree with comments that the manner in which he states his beliefs have sounded a bit condescending. I think he is reacting to frustration with fellow leaders that have walked away from the truth.


“{The belief that} Doctrine divides and relationships pull together”-John Piper, about emergent philosophy

Currently on my nightstand is John MacArther’s The Gospel According to Jesus which has got me thinking, "Who the heck are we to decide how the Gospel should be shared?" (If you are remotely interested in the topic of the emergent church and really, even if your not, check out this  insightful read.

  I’ve been in churches today that operate basically as a constant alter call- focusing on being seeker friendly and numbers driven. They negated the follow through of discipleship, which is, once again, biblical and focuses on relationships. It turned me off to the whole idea of preaching the gospel every time I’d hear, “So-n-so prayed the prayer!” which I felt awful for, but here's why.

What followed would be getting them plugged into a ministry before they even had a chance to understand what it meant to follow Jesus. They may have viewed the church as a welcoming accepting place. They came, talked with the pastor about their troubles, pastor convinced them to pray the prayer, and now they are part of our church.  So-n-so feels peace because the church is there to walk along side of him and because he’s part of the church club  now, doing church on Sunday and maybe helping out with youth group or sunday school. But don’t you think deep down inside he wonders what the church would say if they knew he still struggled with porn?  Still slept with his girlfriend?  Still hung out with his old rough- around- the -edges group of friends at the bar every Saturday night?

And somewhere along the way, he has a breaking point because he can’t handle the guilt! He wants to share it, but has no idea that the sin nature, is completely normal, because everyone else, including the pastor, keeps their struggles at home on sunday too.

Tell me what about teaching the doctrine of Jesus Christ, in this case, would divide? Tell me what part of discipleship and teaching true doctrine wouldn’t create real, true relationships? 

Friends, this is where relationship and doctrine go and in hand. This is why as much as I understand what our generation is looking for, I can’t follow that trend because it literally takes one part of a much bigger equation and focuses on the outcome without ever understanding how we get there. 

Doctrine + Discipleship= Real Relationship with God = Real Relationships with Others

To have that we have to be this. 

I don't want to claim this equation because although I've never seen it in writing, it's just too obviously biblical that I'm sure I'm not the first one to draw it up. The inspiration comes from 1 John 1:7

Focusing in on relationship alone is selling ourselves short.



 It’s a dead end goal.

 Broadening our focus (or in this case, just taking off the lense cap) shows us why we have a need for relationship and how to fulfill that need.

Copyright: Autumn R. Anderson (2011)




2 comments:

  1. Thank you Autumn. Macarther's book is great I have had a copy for years. Well written!! R U and john still praying?? I talked about you guys yesterday with some of our church leaders.

    Erick & Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. We certainly are praying=] Isn't that book just great! Glad you like it too. We pray for and think of you guys often. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete